To learn F# use one of the free online resources or books below.
A simple, clear resource explaining what F# is and what it is for, provided by a major commercial contributor to F# and its tooling. Learn about the tools for F#, the F# community, using F# with the .NET platform and access getting-started material.
Introduces you to F# and show you ways that F# can help in day-to-day development of mainstream commercial business software.
Quickly check out F# features and commonly used snippets, and compare it to languages you already know.
Learn F# by just filling in the gaps! The F# Koans are a fun set of code snippets where you have to fill in gaps to get tests to pass, and you learn the language along the way. Also available as a snippet which can be loaded into interactive environments or your editor of choice.
Learn F# by solving problems, testing your solutions, getting feedback from other developers, and reviewing other developers’ solutions! At last check, there are 112 F# problems just waiting for you to solve them.
A collection of snippets of F# code.
The Microsoft documentation for F# provides a language reference, walkthroughs, videos, samples, and more. You can also contribute to the documentation on GitHub.
The wikibook contains a comprehensive guide to F# programming. It covers F# language basics and essential functional programming concepts such as working with functions and immutable data structures. It also discusses imperative and object-oriented programming in F# and advanced langauge features such as active patterns and computation expressions.
This report explains many of the key features of the F# language that make it a great tool for data science and machine learning. Real world examples take you through the entire data science workflow with F#, from data access and analysis to presenting the results. You’ll learn about F# Data and type providers, the process of data analysis with Deedle and R type provider and the implementation of basic machine learning algorithm with F#.
Material from the F# Introduction Workshop created by Jorge Fioranelli.
A range of coding dojos for F# from Community for F# including the famous Digits Recognizer, Fractal Forest, Canopy 2048, Markov Bot, Type Provider Treasure Hunt, Classics Mash-up and Ham or Spam dojos.
Site which allows interactive searches by an F# API. The F# API Search library document describes the search formats, which support the standard signature of F# with some extentions. Source code available on GitHub FSDN
Very short tutorial/guide that shows the most important differences between C# and F#, with clear and concise examples.
Very short tutorial/guide that shows the most important differences between Python and F#, with clear and concise examples.
F# Courses - General
FSharpTV is a crowdfunded company that produces F# courses with practical, real-world examples. The introductory course is free and accessible to everyone, including beginners.
F# Books - General
Learn how to build key aspects of web, cloud, and mobile solutions by combining F# with various .NET and open source technologies. With helpful examples, this hands-on book shows you how to tackle concurrency, asynchrony, and other server-side challenges. You’ll quickly learn how to be productive with F#, whether you want to integrate the language into your existing web application or use it to create the next Twitter.
Robert Pickering, Kit Eason
This book is a great foundation for exploring functional-first programming and its role in the future of application development. The best-selling introduction to F#, now thoroughly updated to version 4.0, will help you learn the language and explore its new features.
Why learn F#? This multi-paradigm language not only offers you an enormous productivity boost through functional programming, it also lets you develop applications using your existing object-oriented and imperative programming skills. With Programming F#, you’ll quickly discover the many advantages of Microsoft’s new language, which includes access to all the great tools and libraries of the .NET platform.
People often ask, “What can F# do that C# cannot?” In this book, you will discover much of what F# can do! You will see familiar things such as object programming and design patterns. Further, you will also see powerful new things like pattern matching, piping, first-class events, object expressions, options, tuples, records, discriminated unions, active patterns, agents, computation expressions and, perhaps most distinctively, type providers.
Don Syme, Adam Granicz, Antonio Cisternino
Expert F# 4.0 is about practical programming in a beautiful language that puts the power and elegance of data-rich functional programming into the hands of professional developers. In combination with .NET, F# achieves unrivaled levels of programmer productivity and program clarity.
- A comprehensive guide to F# by the inventor of F#
- A treasury of F# techniques for practical problem-solving
- An in-depth case book of how F# applications and of F# 4.0 concepts, syntax, and features
The world’s experts in F# show you how to program in F# the way they do!
Tomas Petricek with Jon Skeet
Real World Functional Programming is a unique tutorial that explores the functional programming model through the F# and C# languages. The clearly presented ideas and examples teach readers how functional programming differs from other approaches. It explains how ideas look in F#-a functional language-as well as how they can be successfully used to solve programming problems in C#.
Michael R. Hansen, Hans Rischel
This comprehensive introduction to the principles of functional programming using F# shows how to apply basic theoretical concepts to produce succinct and elegant programs. It demonstrates the role of functional programming in a wide spectrum of applications including databases and systems. Coverage also includes advanced features in the .NET library, the imperative features of F# and topics such as text processing, sequences, computation expressions and asynchronous computation. With a broad spectrum of examples and exercises, the book is perfect for courses in functional programming and for self-study. Enhancing its use as a text is an accompanying website with downloadable programs, lecture slides, a mini-projects and links to further F# sources.
F# for Scientists explains and demonstrates the powerful features of this important new programming language. The book assumes no prior experience and guides the reader from the basics of computer programming to the implementation of state-of-the-art algorithms. Written in a clear and concise style, F# for Scientists is well suited for researchers, scientists. It also serves as an ideal supplemental text for advanced undergraduate and graduate students with a background in science or engineering.
This book will cover everything you need to know about using functional programming for quantitative finance. Using a functional programming language will enable you to concentrate more on the problem itself rather than implementation details. Tutorials and snippets are summarized into an automated trading system throughout the book.
In this book you will:
- Use Visual Studio as your main tool for writing F#
- Utilize F# to aggregate data and calculate statistics
- Plot and visualize data in F#
- Learn about volatility, delta hedging, and volatility arbitrage
- Understand basic numerical analysis and algorithm implementation
- Model orders and market data together with basic pre-trade risk
- Structure and write object-oriented code
- Develop larger programs using F#
- Explore automated trading systems and quantitative trading models
The Book of F# aims to introduce intermediate and experienced developers to functional-first programming with F#. Throughout the book, you’ll learn how this robust language can help you focus on creating correct solutions by introducing a variety of important concepts including currying, partial application, pattern matching, units of measure, asynchronous workflows, query expressions, type providers, and computation expressions. Furthermore, you’ll discover how F#’s rich object-oriented capabilities allow it to naturally fit into existing applications.
The book Programming Language Concepts (PLC) provides an introduction to programming language concepts and implementation technology, such as interpretation, compilation, type checking and type inference, abstract machines, and garbage collection. F# is used as a meta language throughout the book expressing all concepts and examples of programming language design in a modern strongly-typed language of the ML-family, enabling the reader to experiment with the ideas right away.
Tomas Petricek and Phillip Trelford
F# Deep Dives presents a collection of real-world F# techniques, each written by expert practitioners. Each chapter presents a new use case where you’ll read how the author used F# to solve a complex problem more effectively than would have been possible using a traditional approach. You’ll not only see how a specific solution works in a specific domain, you’ll also learn how F# developers approach problems, what concepts they use to solve them, and how they integrate F# into existing systems and environments.
Machine Learning Projects for .NET Developers shows you how to build smarter .NET applications that learn from data, using simple algorithms and techniques that can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems.
This book is packed with real-world examples to easily use machine learning techniques in your business applications. You will begin with introduction to F# and prepare yourselves for machine learning using .NET framework. You will be writing a simple linear regression model using an example which predicts sales of a product. Forming a base with the regression model, you will start using machine learning libraries available in .NET framework such as Math.NET, Numl.NET and Accord.NET with the help of a sample application. You will then move on to writing multiple linear regressions and logistic regressions.
F# is the result of combining the power and capabilities of functional programming with with the imperative and object-oriented paradigms of .NET. Multi-Paradigm Programming In F# is a book that help developers to make applications using F# tools and the .NET libraries. This book is written in Persian language in 509 pages. In this book you will read:
- Introduction to F# (History and Advantages)
- Get Statring With F# (Installation, Interactive Environment, …)
- F# Fundementals (Values, Primitive Types, Functions, Type Inference, Generic, …)
- Advance Types (Lists, Tuples, Enums, Discriminated Union, Unit of Measures, …)
- Functional Programming (Expressions, Imutability, Function Values, Pattern Matching, Piping, …)
- Imperative Programming (Statements, Mutable Values, Side Effects, Arrays, Resource Management, …)
- Object Oriented Programming (Objects, Classes, Inheritance, Abstraction, Polymorphism, …)
- Error Handling (Exceptions, Exception Types, Throwing and Catching Exceptions, …)
- Databases (Sql Server, Query Expressions, Type Providers, …)
- User Interfaces (Windows Forms, WPF, GTK#)
“F# Applied” is an excellent introduction to applied, modern programming for the web. Starting with Suave, the F# server-side web framework, this book will teach you how to create complete applications using Functional-First Programming with F# In this book you will read:
- How to create complete application using Functional Programming Principles using F#
- An in-depth understanding of Web development in F# using Suave
- How to develop applications using EventSourcing, CQRS, and DDD in F#
- How to set up continuous integration and continuous deployment using FAKE and Docker
- How to leverage libraries like Rx, FSharp.Data and Paket
Get Programming with F#: A guide for .NET Developers shows you how to upgrade your .NET development skills by adding a touch of functional programming in F#. In just 43 bite-sized chunks, you’ll learn how to use F# to tackle the most common .NET programming tasks.Examples use the familiar Visual Studio environment, so you’ll be instantly comfortable. Packed with enlightening examples, real-world use cases, and plenty of easy-to-digest code, this easy-to-follow tutorial will make you wonder why you didn’t pick up F# years ago! In addition to the language itself, other topics covered include:
- Interop with C# /VB projects
- Working with disparate data sources
- SQL database access
- Web Programming
- Unit testing
By the end of the book, you’ll be able to use F# in your day-to-day development, and know how and where to deepen your knowledge.
This book is a fast-paced tutorial guide that uses hands-on examples to explain real-world applications of machine learning.
In this book you will:
- Use F# to find patterns through raw data
- Build a set of classification systems using Accord.NET, Weka, and F#
- Run machine learning jobs on the Cloud with MBrace
- Perform mathematical operations on matrices and vectors using Math.NET
- Use a recommender system for your own problem domain
- Identify tourist spots across the globe using inputs from the user with decision tree algorithms
This book will encourage enterprise developers coming to F# from other platforms to cultivate an idiomatic F# coding skillset by fully embracing the functional-first F# paradigm.
In this book you will:
- Acquire the practical knowledge to use the main functional design patterns
- Realign some imperative and object-oriented principles under the functional approach
- Develop your confidence in building and combining first-order and higher-order functions
- Learn to use core language pattern matching effectively
- Make use of native F# algebraic data types in place of custom-built classes
- Recognize and measure the difference in resource consumption between sequences and materialized data collections
- Navigate and use F# Core libraries with ease by seeing patterns behind specific library functions
- Master writing generic polymorphic code
Alfonso García-Caro Núñez & Suhaib Fahad
This easy-to-follow guide with syntaxes will help you master the concepts of F#. Packed with in-depth examples of real-world uses, this book covers each topic in detail with a reference to C#, so you will understand the difference between the languages.
In this book you will:
- Understand the basics of F# and organize F# source code with Visual Studio
- Work with F# data structures and create functional data structures in F# interoperate with C#
- Build and use asynchronous programming patterns with F#
- Create and use type providers that help perform data analysis from within Visual Studio
- Develop applications with pure F# code in WPF or ASP.NET MVC
- Find out how to perform distributed programming with ServiceBus or ZeroMQ
- Visualize data with charts, and work with Excel and R language Type providers
This easy-to-follow guide is full of hands-on examples of real-world multithreading tasks. Each topic is explained and placed in context, and for the more inquisitive, there are also more in-depth details of the concepts used.
In this book you will:
- Understand how the execution of functions in F# works
- Identify common performance bottlenecks
- Implement best practices to optimize performance
- Use the available tooling to help measure performance
- Combine the best practice of asynchronous and synchronous
- Optimize further using various F# language constructs
- Learn F# with this learner-friendly approach in this course
- This single course covers all the basics so you can start building powerful applications
- Get familiar with all the top modules and components included in this course
This book is the first and the only F# book in Turkish. The book covers F# and general functional programming principles.
F#, aktif ve bağımsız geliştirici topluluğu tarafından yön verilen, özellikle bulut teknolojileri, veri analizi ve bilimsel çalışmalarda kullanımı her geçen gün artan sade ve şık bir programlama dilidir. F# ile Microsoft’un .NET platformu üzerinde Windows, Linux ve OSX işletim sistemlerinde çalışabilen her çapta ve özllikte uygulamalar geliştirebilirsiniz. Hatta sistem yönetimi scriptlerinizi bile F# ile oluşturabilirsiniz. F# ile Fonksiyonel Programlama kitabında F#’ın sunduğu tüm bu imkanlar ile sizi tanıştırmayı ve bol kod örnekleri ile F#’ı özümsemenizi hedefliyoruz.
- Kısa F# Tarihçesi
- Neden F#?
- Matematiksel Bakış
- Fonksiyonel Programlama
- F# Geliştirme Platformu
- Merhaba F#
- F# Temelleri
- Veri Tipleri
- Desen Eşleme
- Genel Amaçlı Programlama
- .NET Koleksiyonları
- Nesne Yönelimli Programlama
- Programlama Yöntemleri
- Monadlar ve Hesaplama İfadeleri
- Asenkron ve Paralel Programlama
Learn how to use F#’s functional features to rapidly turn requirements into software designs that are correct, complete, extensible, bug-free, and easy to read and understand.
- Setup your IDE for F# development
- Use F#-friendly tools for test automation, builds, and dependency management
- Model your application’s problem domain using F#’s immutable data types and collections
- Build simple-to-complex application behavior with F# functions
- Interoperate between your F# applications and other .NET languages
“F# Applied II” helps you to learn how to build a real-world, production-ready, end-to-end web application in F# using the functional programming principles by developing a Twitter clone from scratch.
In this book you will learn:
- The Application of functional programming principles in a real-world application
- Server-Side Rendering in Suave using DotLiquid
- Authentication and Authorisation in Suave
- Application Logging using Logary
- Error handling in asynchronous operations using Chessie.
- Database access using SQLProvider
- Database schema management using Fluent Migrator
- Realtime Tweet Feeds and Notifications using GetStream.io
Stylish F# covers every design decision that a developer makes in constructing F# programs, helping you make the most educated and valuable design choices at every stage of code development. You will learn about the design of types and function signatures, the benefits of immutability, and the uses of partial function application. You will understand best practices for writing APIs to be used by F#, C#, and other languages. Each carefully vetted design choice is supported with compelling examples, illustrations, and rationales.
What You’ll Learn
- Know why, when, and how to code in immutable style
- Use collection functions, piping, and function composition to build working software quickly
- Be aware of the techniques available to bring error handling into the mainstream of program logic
- Optimize F# code for maximum performance
- Identify and implement opportunities to use function injection to improve program design
- Appreciate the methods available to handle unknown data values
- Understand asynchronous and parallel programming in F#, and how it differs from C# asynchronous programming
F# Books (Coming Soon)
A practical approach with examples in F#. Are you an experienced C#, Java or Python developer? Do you want to understand what all the fuss about functional programming is about? Designed for beginners, this book will explain all the core concepts of functional programming in a practical way with no maths or jargon.